Never mind the official story - That Prof Babs Fafunwa, an educationist & one-time Education minister, dropped History to encourage students to take up science & tech courses. NO! Pure lies. How has Nigeria fared in science & tech decades after? What have we invented? How come American history is taught at all levels from kindergarten, yet it has not stopped America from being a tech giant? Wake up Naija!!
Fafunwa was only used as a willing tool for a political cover up. The REAL REASONS Nigerian History was dropped are:
1. They don't want you to know that Uthman Dan Fodio was a migrant who arrived & was welcomed as guest by the Hausa king of Gobir. He later attacked, killed and took over his host's kingdom!!! Just as Boko Haram & Maitatsine tried to do in modern Nigeria. So, BH, Fulani herdsmen & Fulani
jihad are leafs from the same tree.
2. They don't want you to know that the British deliberately rigged the Nigerian political system, using the constitutions of 1922 to 1960 to sow the seeds of rivalry & disunity & stop Nigeria from being truly independent.
3. They don't want you to find out how the Northern people's congress willfully disbanded the Action Group by pitting Akintola against Awo to weaken the opposition during the First Republic.
4. They don't want you to find out that the North was the first region to want secession in 1953 following the first motion for self rule in the parliament. Northern reps opposed this motion and were booed & derided by the Lagos media. Northern leaders threatened to pull out of Nigeria!!!
5. They don't want you to find out that the 1964 elections were so rigged by the NPC government and when Awo protested he was tried & jailed for "treasonable felony"
6. They don't want you to find out that the first coup of Jan 1966 was not an Igbo coup. It was a patriotic coup by young officers who wanted to save their failing country from corrupt politicians. These officers were only so naive that they failed to "balance" the ethnic composition of their group and their victims. They were subsequently framed as igbo coupists.
7. They don't want you to discover that Yakubu Gowon was merely the gentle face of a terrorist Northern government. He was handpicked as a Christian and used to cover up genocide. He stood idly by and watched as thousands of Igbos (everone from the old south east) were attacked & killed all over Nigeria. Yet when the unwanted Igbos decided enough was enough & wanted secession, he started preaching about "keeping Nigeria one."
8. They don't want you to discover that "unity" was not the real reason the federal govt fought the civil war. It was OIL!!! Leaders of the north had decided to seceed after the July 1966 coup. Aburi Accord was mutually agreed as a first step to separation. It was only after the British High Commissioner met with Gowon and told him that oil would be an important mineral later that Gowon repudiated the accord and made war inevitable.
9. They don't want you to discover that the creation of states in 1967 was not to encourage development. It was purely to divide the South East and prevent its other ethnic groups from forming a common front with the Igbos. Today, the same ethnic groups are treated like colonized peoples with no value except the oil in their land!!!
10. They don't want you to discover that the people of Port Harcourt were promised free inheritance of the houses & assets of Igbos in exchange for ditching Biafra & supporting Nigeria. Today, we see the consequences.
IN SHORT, THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO THINK, BECAUSE HISTORY FORCES YOU TO THINK & AND ASK SENSITIVE QUESTIONS.
Now you know the truth.